Thursday, February 23, 2012

Happy Birthday!

Happy birthday to...? No, not Alain Prost silly. Not George Thorogood. The Weekly Cycle! That's right, this very blog turns 1 today! Happy Birthday! While this blog hasn't yet fulfilled its purpose (to make me rich), it has been lots of fun and a great way to keep in touch with the many and varied components of the bicycle world, including bicycle components themselves!

The blog affords me the opportunity to share all the things that I love about bicycles. Its steadily growing readership shows me that others enjoy what I have to say, which is nothing if not nice. I plan for many more birthdays to come.

I thought a look back to some of the more popular posts would be a good way to celebrate. Newer readers might find something new, while older readers can reminisce.


Here they are in no particular order, with a snippet to bait you.

Interview with Catherine Deveny
"I just hate people spending money that they don’t have to buy things they don’t need to impress people they don’t like..I just think a lot of people make unnecessary purchases and decisions and lifestyle choices and then have to make even more detrimental ones to back those things up…do you know what I mean? They go, “Well, I can’t cycle because I live out in the ‘burbs, and I live in the ‘burbs because I need a big house, and I need a big house because I’ve got these four cars, and I need these four cars because…
Bike Anatomy (and stuff)


You can take your zone and shove it!

"Living in the twilight zone"

"Zoned out"

These are two headlines from one article in The Age today. I guess they were so happy with their puns that they just had to use them both. Fair enough. But why stop there? Why not "Out of my comfort zone" or "Zoning out, man"?

And why restrict themselves to "zone"? We're talking trains here after all. The subject "train" has to be to punsters what Schoolies is to someone wanting to get laid. Unfortunately I'm not a punster but that won't stop me having a go; "Unres-train-ed ticket prices" or "Off the rails" or "What's the loco-motive?" or "Losing track". Shit man, it's a meat-market of puns.

An open letter to "Michael from Sydney"

Michael from Sydney doesn't like cyclists. I can tell because I am very clever. I can "read between the lines". "What lines?", I hear you ask. These lines:

"Are you sure that a hemet would protect cyclists' brains? Most seem to have their brains in their posteriors not there heads."
And finally there's this video I made of Hitler ranting about bicycle registration. I don't know if it's because people don't like reading much anymore or because it's funny or because it strikes a chord, but for some reason this video has become quite popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment