Sunday, June 19, 2011

Old man, pink bike, workman's hat = hipster





I saw this old man at the supermarket today. I love old men and this one is particularly cool. He's rocking a pink bike with a milk crate on the back. And the workman's hat is a fine touch; I can't believe the hipsters haven't caught on to that yet. As they say, hipsterism fetishises the authentic, and what could be more authentic than a workman's hat? Additionally, a workman's hat is nothing if not vinatge, and we all know that hipsters base their image on a carefully created sloppy vintage look.


Actually, the more I think about it the more it becomes clear that this old man is a hipster without even realising it. And while it's not all right to aspire to hipsterism, it is all right to just be that way by accident. And since I can say with some certainty that this old man knows nothing about hipsterism, I think it's pretty safe to say that he is really cool.

Chapeau, old man...


3 comments:

  1. Looks like you've been doing a bit of Nuffie spotting at Barkly Square shops. There's no way anyone's pinching that machine with the industrial strength chain is there ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi E. Svengali, I was down at Barkly Square shops but there were no nuffies in sight...just this old man...

    ReplyDelete